From: Chris Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, Jul 24, 2009 9:10 am
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Seeking advice shelter for Railroad Cars

We are working with another non-profit that runs the Atchison Rail Museum and are seeking some ideas, or how other places have already solved similar problems.

The rail cars, including 1902 Steam Engine, several unique caboose designs, dining and other cars are in an open air setting and beginning to show deterioration - we know we have to do something soon otherwise we will begin to lose these pieces of our railroad heritage.

Has anyone already taken on this problem - designed and built a cover structure to keep railroad cars out of the weather?
Any advice on this or if you know places that have their rail cars covered that I could seek out information from would be great.
Also any suggestions on someone who specializes in conserving railcars, old fire equipment, etc.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chris Taylor
Executive Director
Atchison County Historical Society