When I was at Midway Village Museum in Rockford Illinois we had uniforms.  At first we had beige short sleeve polo shirts with the museum logo on them.  When I left we had nice dark blue button front shirts in long and short sleeves, also with the museum logo.  We went to the darker shirts so the staff stood out more at special events.  We all had very nice name tags with name and position title.  We had green hoodies for a while too.  We decided on them as a group at our senior staff meeting.

We wore them at all special events.  During regular work hours we were not required to wear them, but many of us frequently did anyway.  I always wore mine if I knew I had to give a tour, and after we got the blue button fronts I wore them to any outreach lectures or other appearances where I needed to look professional.  I could have worn a tie with the shirt, but never did.  I usually wore black slacks.  Front desk/museum store staff wore them all the time, if I remember correctly.  The museum provided one shirt, and when I left I returned it, per our policy.

It never bothered me to have to wear a uniform.  In fact, I was proud to wear it.

Dan