Lisa,

The vinegar is acetic acid which is certainly coming from the deteriorating
plastic. The newspapers certainly contain
inherent acids in and of themselves but should not be the "vinegar" type.

Get rid of the plastic first and foremost.

Acetic acid is not a disease - so it won't "catch" in a collection like a
pest will. But if an acid-sensitive collections object is stored in close
proximity  (such as lead tokens / toys, etc.) then deterioration will
result.

It is always best practice to preserve the information in ephemeral archival
collections by either microfilm or digital imaging.

I don't think you would have to destroy them - you may be able to take
simple steps with the advice of a paper conservator to keep them fairly
stable - perhaps in another storage situation.

My advice is that in the future you, or another knowledgeable staff person
look over everything in a collection before it comes in the door - so you
can catch issues like this as well as seeing if there are pests that may
hitchhike right in the door. This time spent up front can certainly pay off
because once something nasty comes inside it is a bigger issue for everyone.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator