Colleagues,

Last fall, CFM lecturer Dr. Jane McGonigal pointed out that the work of
futurists isn¹t to predict the future, but to identify the ³materials of the
future²‹products, ideas or services that have the potential to have a
profound effect on the way we live decades from now. At the annual meeting,
we invited FutureQuest players to vote for ³most promising material of the
future,² based on their potential effect on museums, from among the
products, ideas and services showcased by vendors in MuseumExpo.

Well, this contest ended in a three-way tie, and we are turning to you to
determine the winner.

The contestants are Fentress Architects, GestureTek, and GreenGuestbook.

How can you assess the potential of a ³material of the future²? Prime your
imagination by asking yourself, ³what, in the past, made such a big
difference in the way that museums operate that the field would look very
different, today, if it never existed?²  Three examples: air-conditioning,
blockbuster buster exhibits, and the principles of accessibility/universal
design. Then examine our three finalists, and look forward in time to
envision how museums might look or behave differently through using these
products or services. Which ones might change the landscape of how we
operate? Open up new horizons? Decide which finalist you think will make the
biggest difference, if broadly adopted, in ten or twenty year¹s time.

Please vote at http://futureofmuseums.org/events/materialofthefuture.cfm

Voting closes on July 9th.
Winners will be announced July 13.

Many thanks and happy voting!

Guzel duChateau € Program Coordinator, Center for the Future of Museums €
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street NW, Suite 400 | Washington, DC 20005