Lisa,

We mark our education items in the same way Michelle mentioned above; i.e. with an "E" to denote it belongs in the education collection.  We began marking items like textiles/uniforms with iron-labels to avoid permemantly marking the objects, but these tend to fall off if used alot so we began to simply write the accession number in some inconspicuous place on the garment using an archival pen.  For other objects, like mess kits (or anything metal), we would lay down a clear acrylic varnish and write the accession number in white out or archival ink before sealing it with a layer of varnish.  This can be time consuming, but if you intend to keep these items in your education collection for the long term it is most definitely worth it--especially if you use these objects for any sort of public programming.  Hope this helps!

Kyle Sater
(former) Intern at the First Division Museum, Wheaton, IL