From: Matthew White [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Questions in Seeking an Internship

Camey,

It is all about networking even at the intern stage. Don't any of your
professors know anyone? It seems to me this is what you pay them the big
bucks for.

Alumni?

Anyone who can introduce you to someone who can introduce you to someone
etc etc.

Go to museum conferences and schmooze. Go to SEMC or I noticed there is
a Tennessee Association of Museums in your neck of the woods. Borrow
money if you have to, but go and network.

Is there a specific museum or subject matter you like or even love
(that's rhetorical, I'm not asking for me)? If so email that person and
ask for their advice. Ask them what you need to do. Sending in
applications and resumes cold will only get you so far. Find someone at
an institution you want to work with, and who wants to work with you,
talk to them, have them put your name in the internship coordinator's
ear about you. THEN send in your application, resume, letter, whatever.

It is all about networking and introducing yourself to people.

Be proactive.

Good Luck.

Matthew White