Finding a job in these difficult economic times is incredibly tough. Finding a museum or arts-related job is order of magnitude harder, and sometimes very frustrating. MuseJobbers recently held a dialogue that said it can take months—if not years—to find “the ideal job.” Funders are cutting back; seasoned professionals are putting it off because they simply cannot afford to retire. Colleges continue to churn out new candidates who have, as baggage, a significant amount of college-related debt. The well-trained, ready-to-work museum professional needs all the help (s)he can get to find a job.

Some do well with tailored links. They remember to check them often, and they hold out hope they will be the lucky one who can settle for a museum-only job. But others—like me—prefer to have the offerings delivered to their inbox so that they don’t forget to check and they don’t miss anything. Both options are valid, but different styles for different folks. It’s just a question of how you prefer your data processing.

Understanding your plight, knowing how tough it can be to find the right job at the right time, at MuseJobs, we post hundreds of jobs weekly, somewhere between 360 and 365 days a year AND our posts are archived, so that they are always retrievable in our messaging system every day of the year. Miss something? There’s a search tool you can query.  If you visited us in the past, we’ve recently upped our ante and found several new resources that may just be the EXACT help you seek. We’re high volume. We KNOW you need to work, and we’re there to help. So far this month, we’ve posted over 400 items. That’s when knowing how to manage your mail comes in VERY handy. (See the info at bottom for pointers on how to manage Yahoo or Gmail accounts.)

So what kinds of jobs do we post? Things that are exactly what you are looking for and things that will help you pay your bills and acquire transferrable skills til you can get the job that means everything to you.  Here are some of the categories we’re covering:

Museum, historian, curator, anthropology, archaeology, archivist, zoo, library, planetarium, art-related jobs, state parks, aquarium, and more.

This doesn’t negate any of the other offerings you may reach on this list and elsewhere. You need all the help you can get to stay on top of the job market, and, for nearly 2900 people, MuseJobs has proven to be a great resource. There, in addition to these job leads, you’ll find employment law, resume/interview pointers, the state of the job market, and other human resource related items.

So where do you go to find this help, and what does it cost?  First, the last part. It’s absolutely free to the participants and for the instititutional posters. Find us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseJobs  All it will cost you is your time, and it may well pay off in spades.  You may not remember to check a list, but your MuseJobs mail will find you!

Now for those pointers promised regarding mail management:

To Create a Yahoo Folder:

On left side of reading pane, below Calendar and Notepad, you will find My Folders. Next to My Folders, there is the word Add. Click on it, and a new Untitled Folder will be created. Scroll down to the Untitled Folder. Double click on the name, and you can then rename it MuseJobs. It will then be placed alphabetically in your list of folders.

To Create a Yahoo Filter:

At top right, under the Web Search button, find the word Options. Click on it. A set of pull downs will appear. Select Mail Options. Under the House icon, where it says Back to Yahoo Mail, find the word Filters. Click on it. Click on Create or Edit Filters. Click on Add.  In the Filter Name box, call it MuseJobs. Where the From Header exists, in the box beside the word contains, enter [log in to unmask] . Skip down to where it says Then. Where it says Move Message To, select your MuseJobs folder. Then, bottom left, click on Add Filter.

To Create a Gmail Filter:

Next to the search button that reads Search the Web, find the word Create a Filter. Click on it. Where it says From, enter [log in to unmask]. Click on Next Step. Check Skip the Inbox (Archive it) AND check beside Apply the Label. Use the pull down and create a new label.  Call it MuseJobs.  Click Create Filter.  Want to more readily find a posting in a specific Label? On the left side of the screen, you will find all your labels in the Labels section. Opposite the name of the Label is a little box. Click on the box. A color palette will appear. You can then choose one of the colors in the palette to assign to emails in that palette.

Tweetcha Later!
https://twitter.com/Indigo_Nights