Julianne,

There are many variables that go into determining an annual conservation budget for a museum / historic site. If you have had a CAP survey then that is an excellent starting point in terms of the overall assessment of the collection, short-term through long-term priorities, and in formulating a long-range conservation plan that addresses those needs. Without such an assessment you are pretty much blind as to what needs to be done to ensure the preservation of your collections. We conservators vastly prefer a comprehensive preventive approach and good practices in storage and care so as to not have to treat artworks and artifacts.

You also need to consider your exhibition schedule and how that may drive the need for conservation. Also different conservation specialties have different requirements and costs. The costs in conservation are usually based on the needs of individual items and the cost of conserving a work of oil on canvas will be very different from a map on parchment or a photograph.

Also the costs of contract conservation are expensive (I know because I am in private practice!) as opposed to getting it done in-house. I would suggest checking with other museums and departments at  Penn State to see if they have conservators / laboratories where treatment could be arranged. This would reduce the need for shipping and also might be a different way of looking at the budget where the funds are interdepartmental rather than going to an outside vendor.

Some institutions I know simply have a set amount in the conservation budget each year for contract work and then anything beyond that is either done on a case-by-case basis or in the case of exhibitions there is a built-in budget line for conservation.

I hope that this all made some sense.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey