I just want to add a few things to this discussion.

First. Light damage is accumulative and irreversible. The entire spectrum of
light, visible, IR, and UV contains energy which can damage art and cultural
objects. Conservators calculate light damage potential by plotting intensity
vs. time. Both have to be managed to control light damage..

Second. Have a light survey done. Identify your good and bad areas before
you spend lots of money on window treatments.

Third. Not every class of material has equally potential for light damage. A
stone, metal, or high fired ceramic object can withstand more light than an
object made from silk, containing fugitive dyes, photograph, paper, or a
painting. So you can always take this into account when planning your
gallery or exhibit.

Fourth. You also need to consider the interior lighting as well - to just
focus on the windows is not enough. The best approaches involve a plan in
which a lighting designer works with a conservator and exhibit designer to
achieve a balanced lighting mise en scene where the overall lighting level
is balanced with the light on the objects to achieve visual clarity while
still providing the preventive preservation and care that we advocate for.

Finally be aware of the past. Historic houses had blinds and curtains - old
book shelves had curtains - there are all kinds of historic methods for
controlling light before electricity. Use them - a great point for
interpretation!

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey