Mark,

You are wise to ask.  I've used several systems over the years, and I
suspect there are pluses and minuses to each.

One major consideration: if your current records are formatted in the letter
position, it will be probably be easier to find them in notebooks (provided
the catalog number is on the right hand side of the page) and if the records
are formatted in landscape with the number at the top, file folders will be
easier.

Another consideration might be what type of storage space you have available
-shelves vs. file cabinets.

Notebooks: I'm currently in a place that uses three ring notebooks, usually
one per year or multiple years depending on volume.

    Advantage:  it seems to reduce misfiling and may be easier to use.

    Drawbacks: 1) it takes a lot of shelf space and if the notebook is
crowded you have to fuss with reinforcing ripped out holes and 2) it has
been a struggle to keep the notebooks fully upright on the shelf, --they
have a tendency to flop when one is pulled out, and unless they are
completely full the pages inside may sag, making the notebook go crooked and
then they really don't stand up!   If you do choose notebooks, buy very
sturdy ones and be sure to use a D ring rather than an O ring because it
lessens the ripping of page holes and are easier to flip through when
looking for a sheet.

File Folders:  (which I used elsewhere)  In that situation, once we had done
the data entry (or, in earlier days made catalog cards from the catalog
worksheet) there was pretty much no need to handle them again, although as
time goes by and others work with that collection there might be.  At any
rate, that system took the least space.  That also, as Amanda pointed out,
allows for use of fire proof cabinets, which I think is important.

One question might be whether file folders have a worse risk for misplacing
records (when pulled to work) with than binders. (In either case you have to
have a really good system for temporarily holding sheets and getting them
returned to their file or binder.)

Another system I have seen is storing three ring binders in file cabinets, -
some waste of space, but having them in a fire-proof cabinet would be worth
it. If you used no larger than 2" binders (larger get heavy to lift from
drawers) and each binder is full but not too full, this might be a good way
to go, if you can afford the file space, since the pages are hanging from
their 3 rings and not sagging.

I have never used bound notebooks for catalog records, but it seems to me
you would have a problem trying to photocopy a page, and if you need to
change or add any information, you would have to handle the entire book.
Our worksheets are pulled frequently as our early cataloguing was quite
inadequate and we're checking the level of detail now as we have occasion to
handle them for storage location changes, pulling for exhibit, etc.  The
sheets then go to data entry to update the computer record, so having the
sheets bound in books would be extremely cumbersome.  (I think the use of
bound books is generally used for original intake (accession) records and it
is important that those be bound, but those records don't have the level of
detail that a catalog record has.)

Catalog cards, it seems to me, would have to be large ones, to be useful at
all.  But in a natural history collection they might be able to hold the
information you need, and would, indeed, take less space.

Hope this helps your decision making!

Lucy Sperlin

Butte County Historical Society

Oroville, CA