Fort Snelling just completed one of three scheduled programs which featured American Girl dolls and books.  In order to even have this program on our schedule we had to get permission from Mattel and their legal team, especially regarding use of the trademark "American Girl."  What we learned was that we could not call the event an "American Girl" event, it had to be called a "book event," or a "craft event" that featured American Girl - the key word there being "featured."  It was a long, drawn-out discussion, but we were able to use their materials, dolls, and books for our programming.  The best advice I can offer is get in touch with Mattel and be honest with them about how you will promote the program and what it will entail.  I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Matthew P. Cassady
Program Associate
Historic Fort Snelling/ Sibley House Historic Site
Minnesota Historical Society
Office: 612-970-2800