I would personally recommend shallower shelves, with the individual objects grouped in trays (with sides slightly lower than the height of the drawer) without the boxes so that everything is one layer and visible but still able to be moved in groups to be studied or otherwise accessed. This reduces unnecessary movement that is caused when you have things stacked in boxes and increases visibility which is very important since you will see any potential problems/damage/mold/etc much sooner.
If the trays are measured to fit the slide out drawers, the space use can be very efficient and is much much easier for people who are managing the collection. It can be done in a more budget friendly way with trays made from cardboard instead of bought pre-made. You can make a template with some calculations and make them very quickly (or put interns or volunteers to work on them).

Elizabeth Walton