Marianne,

I think that there are a number of reasons why putting security up front at
the entrance foyer is a bad idea. Most security offices I am familiar with
are at the back off the loading dock so they can monitor the flow of
employees, special visitors, and vendors. Also the main security office and
watch staff need to be in a secure room. Having them up front makes the
whole security system compromised by everything from distractions to an
armed person - it makes security not only visible but very vulnerable and
very easy to control by outside events or persons.

I also think that you are right - that having the main security up front may
also make the first impression of the museum less one of information,
education, and access to one more like an airport.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator