Hello Listers,  I am need of some advice and/or support  J.  Our Library and Archives would like to host a book sale of items that have been deaccessioned and surplus materials that were never accepted into the permanent collection.  The funds would be used to acquire more appropriate material for the collection.

Now I know there are some ethical waters to swim through here.  I have expressed that we should first attempt to keep these materials in the public realm by attempting to transfer them to other public institutions.   I also fear the public’s and/or fellow institutions reaction to the selling of collections.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Ava R. Wilkey

Registrar/ Asst. Curator

The Southern Museum

an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution

2829 Cherokee Street NW

Kennesaw, GA  30144

770-427-2117 ext 3058

www.southernmuseum.org

Come see our newest exhibition:  William Wardrop's Creations: Man's Imagination and Machines February 21 - July 5th. Now available- Traveling exhibition: Portraits in Gray: A Civil War Photography Exhibition.