From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of David Harvey
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Don't you Love Weird Requests?

Hi Everyone,

I have a weird request of sorts!

In the next few months I am giving talks and a paper on "Things
Shouldn't Go Bump in the Night!": Paranormal Investigations in Museums
and Historic Sites.

The interest in the public in ghost hunting and the paranormal is at an
all-time high due to several successful TV shows and publications. It is
understandable that many institutions want to do this for publicity and
marketing - if not to simply explore the stories and experiences
attributed to their sites. People love a good ghost story - and many
have programs that are very popular.

(Isn't the AAM touring the haunted Eastern State Penitentiary in
Philadelphia?)
http://www.easternstate.org/

As a preservation professional I sometimes cringe when I see some of the
practices on TV in museums and historic sites. On the other side I have
several friends who pursue this who are careful and thoughtful people -
and because of my background as a preservation professional I have
helped them in everything from history research to how to properly use
their equipment  and interpret the results.

I am using this project to develop both awareness and a pilot workshop /
program for both groups on this issue. I want to educate those many
groups out there that may be calling you to get in an do an all-night
paranormal investigation about museum and historic site values,
priorities, and practices and then to educate those of you on the museum
side about how these groups work and how to sort out those that are
careful and professional from the hobbyists - there can be hidden
benefits from collaborating with them.

I will be writing an informational pamphlet with guidelines on the topic
that I will be happy to share.

So, I would love to hear all your experiences, good and bad, and
thoughts, ideas, or anything else on this. If you have photos to share I
would love to see them!

Send your responses to me off the list, if you want, and I will do a
summary of my findings and post it on here.

If you are considering developing your own ghost tour or program then
you may find this useful.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey