Are you full- or part-time paid or volunteer staff person in a small museum?
Would you like to attend AASLH’s Annual meeting in August?

AASLH’s Annual Meetings have become a potent force for change, renewal and
sustainability in the field of local history. Dynamic speakers, such as
NPR’s Cokie Roberts and ABC’s Lynn Sherer, rejuvenate our spirits at these
meetings by re-affirming the importance of our work and vision.  Unfortunately,
many working in our nation’s small museums feel as if we can only dream of
attending this meeting. In a perfect world, our requests for funding for
professional development would always be granted. Institutions of modest
means, however, may not allocate or have the resources to help us become
effective stewards of our community’s memory.  Websites and listservs
constantly offer new sources of technical and psychological support, but
nothing is better than the one-on-one fellowship of sharing survival
strategies.

Every year increasing numbers of sessions at the Annual Meeting address
issues specifically affecting small museums. These sessions can be as
practical and wide-ranging as training, marketing, and strategic planning.
Other sessions revolve around creative ways to forge and re-energize
relationships with the surrounding community.

Over the past four years, AASLH’s Small Museums Committee has offered full
or part-time paid or volunteer employees of small museums scholarships to
attend the Annual Meeting. The scholarship is open to AASLH members. It will
cover the cost of registration. Remaining funds available will offset travel
and/or lodging expenses.

To qualify, the museum must have a budget of up to $250,000. Applicants must
explain how the meeting will benefit 1) their professional development, 2)
their particular institution, and 3) their extended community.

Application forms are at http://www.aaslh.org/SmallMuseums.htm.

Applicants can submit applications electronically to: Bob Beatty,
[log in to unmask] with 2009 Small Museum Scholarship in the subject line of
the email.

Mail or fax hard copy of application *with signatures* to:

AASLH Small Museum Scholarship

Attn: Bob Beatty

1717 Church St.

Nashville, TN 37203

Fax: (615)327-9013

Deadline for Applications is 30 May 2009.

For questions, please contact Bruce Teeple, Small Museum Scholarship
Committee Chair at [log in to unmask]

Award notification will be made by 30 June 2009.

Stacy Klingler

Chair, AASLH Small Museums Committee