Phyllis --
I have a couple of thoughts, which you might already be doing:

1.  Do some benchmarking -- create a list of 4-5 similar institutions (could
be in your state, but they could be anywhere; preferably same size or
larger) and look at what they're doing in terms of programming, fees, etc.
 Try to interview one or more key people at these institutions to pick their
brains.  Ask if they'll share some financial info with you.  This activity
will give you some context as to where your institution fits, along with
some ideas about what might be possible and what it will take to increase
your revenue streams.

2.  Take a "historic" look at your institution's financials -- gather the
last 5-10 years worth of financial data and look for trends of growth or
decline.  Are some trends ripe for expansion?  Are there some areas that
could/should be streamlined, consolidated or jettisoned?

3.  In two weeks time, do you have opportunities to gather together a focus
group or two of your primary stakeholders to do some brainstorming? I'm sure
this is a very tough time of year to schedule get-togethers, but I'd try a
focus group of students and one of faculty who use the museum or one of
museum "champions" from across campus (students, faculty, admin).

4.  You're probably already searching the Web for examples of nonprofit
business plans, but if you're not, give it a try.  Samples might hold some
valuable insights, as well.

Best of luck,

Anne

--
Read my Blog:  http://leadingbydesign.blogspot.com/

Anne W. Ackerson
Principal
Creative Leadership & Management Solutions
1914 Burdett Avenue
Troy, New York  12180
T:  518-271-2455
E:  [log in to unmask]