Dido, here also, we are using Past Perfect and placing the old numbers under the "Old Number" or "other" areas on the system.  Be patient :)  We have been working on this for several years trying to get our items in (we means mostly me).  There are grants out there to apply for to help hire someone to come in and help with the project. If you have volunteers that you can train, they are a big help.   We have four numbering systems that we are trying to merge into Past Perfect.  Our biggest problem is staff and trying to keep up with the new items coming in and catch up putting in the older items.

If nothing else, after nine years here I might finally put my hands on every piece of our collection (30,000 and counting)  :)

Debra Loguda-Summers, Curator
Still National Osteopathic Museum and International Center for Osteopathic History
800 West Jefferson
Kirksville, MO 63501
Phone: 660 626 2359
Fax: 660 626 2984
Toll Free: 1 866 626 ATSU Ext. 2359
www.atsu.edu/museum

The Mission of the Still National Osteopathic Museum is to collect, preserve, and make available artifacts and related materials to communicate the history and philosophy about the osteopathic principles of mind, body and spirit to a global audience.

>>> Maggie Carlson <[log in to unmask]> 4/18/2009 9:36 AM >>>
   Do I know your pain!  I'm hoping to embark soon on renumbering my collections here as well.  Several different numbering systems over the years has left things in a bit of a mess.
   I would agree that the old number that was given to the object should continue to be associated with the object.  I know in Re:Discovery cataloging software there is a way to do this, and I'm sure it can also be done in Past Perfect as well (if nothing else, by putting the old number under a "notes" section).  Even though you are renumbering the collection, you want to be able to reconstruct the collection from old numbers if you had to, as Trevor pointed out in his response.  Of course you'd put the new number on the object, in your database and in your paper records, but just to be on the safe side I'd make a note that "This object used to be xxxxx"; better to be safe than sorry after all.
    As far as the years on the accession numbering system goes, I've run into that a few times as well.  We have an accession review process.  Everything that comes in the door is issued an Incoming Receipt, and we tell the potential donors that the donation is now under review, where a committee (made up of the director and myself for the most part) decides if the item will be accepted.  If it is, we send the Deed of Gift paperwork out, and upon receiving it back from the Donor we proceed to accession the object formally into our collection.  Since we just re-started the year, we had a number of items that were held on review from the end of 2008 that did not get decided on until 2009.  We followed the dictum that we do not own the object until the signed Deed of Gift is in our possession, and therefore even though the object came in the door in 2008, the accession number is 2009 because that is when the object was formally donated.

Maggie Carlson
Curator
Coronado Quivira Museum
Rice County Historical Society