Its not worth the hassles unless you just don't care.  If you care at all you are going to find headache.    Only one person can own the ©.   Someone has to grant usage.   Once the image is in their competition you have basically lost ALL controllable rights.   If thats ok with you then fine.  If its not ok with you then you need to say No.

Randy S. Little

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Christian Darkin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
hi
if this guy's photography is good, why not invite them back with a set of photos that you'd like of your museum and an offer that the photographs he takes can be used by both you and he?

That way, you get a set of very strong images for free which you can use on your website/publications,etc. and they get pictures they can use commercialy if they want to.

sounds like a win win situation.

if you insist on being credited in all publications, the photo competition will probably just disqualify the image because it's too much hassle - they'r probably running the competition partially to publicise themselves, so they'll want to give the winning entries as wide a profile as they can.

Christian Darkin
animator:  www.anachronistic.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Hart
Sent: 14 April 2009 14:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Query About Photographs Taken On-Site

Good Morning all,
I am looking for a bit of advice. We’ve been approached by a previous visitor about entering an image that he took of our blacksmith at the forge during his visit, into a photo competition. If he wins, he states “the sponsors will have the right to publish this image for any purpose.”

The Farmers’ Museum does have the following policy listed on its website, under the Hours/Admissions page: “Photography and videography are permitted in the museum buildings and on the museum grounds for non-commercial use only.”

I do not want to go so far as saying that we “own” the rights to this gentleman’s image, however, since he’s now venturing into uncharted territories for us, I am not sure how to proceed. Tell him to go ahead, but TFM must be credited in all publications, tell him no because it will be used for commercial purposes (at least it sounds like it), etc.

Regards,
John

John Hart, Jr.
Assistant Curator of Collections
Interim Rights and Reproduction/Photo Sales Handler
New York State Historical Association
The Farmers' Museum
PO Box 800
Cooperstown, NY 13326