Numbering coins

All,

Does anyone have suggestions about numbering coins and commemorative medals?  Historically we have used several methods; physically numbered each with B-72 and ink, printing tiny paper labels adhered with B-72, and simply marking the container that holds the coin (paper envelopes, tiny zip-lock bags.  I believe that numistmitists "slab" coin" and physically mark the plastic "slab".  Their philosophy being that any alteration to the surface affects the value.  We're not so concerned with market value, however our physically numbering does limit which side of the object we exhibit (we could remove the number and reapply it to the reverse however) and I'm not sure what B-72 or its removal does to the patina and potentially it's historical value.  We have had poor luck with marking the container only.  Once the object goes on exhibit, the link between object and number is broken…sometimes for a very long time. I look forward to you collective input.

Todd Topper
Director of Collections Management
Colorado Historical Society
1300 Broadway