Independent Museum Professional

www.valeriealbanese.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/valeriealbanese

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Scher Thomae, Dawn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Devin Boyle
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: I'm desperate! Could you please answer a few questions about corporate sponsorship?

Hello,
Please help! I am a graduate student in the Museum Studies department at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, PA. I am currently working on my thesis, A Tool to Develop Better Understanding of Corporate Sponsorship Practices. I am trying to conduct a few interviews via email to compile a list of opinions from museum professionals, board members, museum visitors, and corporations on the topic of corporate sponsorship.

If possible, I would appreciate your responses to a few questions. Also, please feel free to pass this on if you are too busy or know of anyone else that would be willing to participate. I need to compile information from the following list of people, a least 5 responses from each group:

 board members of a museum
 board members of a corporation
 museum directors
 development officers
 marketing/pr reps in museums
 marketing/pr reps in a corporation
 curators
 museum visitors

My questions are as follows:
What is your definition of corporate sponsorship?

A corporation or for-profit business that provides funds for a program, project or other endeavor.

What is your opinion on corporate sponsorship in museums?
I think that it has merit.

In your opinion, what are the benefits?
For the corporation or business, it’s an opportunity for them to give back to the community and to have their name associated with a museum in a positive way.

What are the drawbacks?

Can get difficult if there is no contract between either organization and the demands of the sponsor are “unreasonable”.

How do you view the sponsoring corporation?

How do you view the museum accepting sponsorship?
It can be a win-win situation for both if clear boundaries are determined and expectations met.

Do you think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks? or the other way around?
For the most part, there are more benefits.

Can you provide an example of a positive corporate sponsor/museum relationship that you have experienced?
Miller Brewing Company sponsoring our Celebrations of Cultures programs annually.

Northwestern Mutual Insurance Company has been a strong travelling exhibition supporter for several years.

Can you provide an example of a negative corporate sponsor/museum relationship that you have experienced?
Not me personally but the infamous “Barbie” exhibition comes to mind.

I would appreciate any help you could give me. I am interested to hear everyone's opinion on the subject. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, if you are too busy don't feel obligated to answer any of the questions or to ask anyone else. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: