Peggy,

The bane of collections everywhere!  At least in my humble opinion.

First you need to make a decision (often based per case) of the value of the clipping/newspaper to your collection.  Is it intrinsically important – most important person in your area’s history collected it, relates the most important story of your area’s history, etc.?  Or is it important for its informational content but not its physical presence?  Or neither?

If the first, than of course, treat it as you would any other paper artifact – accession, store in the best conditions possible.  If the second, than I would copy and discard original and file by subject categories for retrieval.  But not accession!  If it is neither that is a thorny area – sometimes you take and treat as informational if the donor warrants it, sometimes you refuse.

Mostly I would advise not to simply assume newspaper/magazine publications automatically must be preserved.  They are modern societies most prolific communication device and found in abundance.  I think no matter what decision the profession make today a lot of paper will exist into the future.  Even if that era may be coming to a close.  Good luck there is not tried and true answer to this dilemma.

Janet Smoak, Director

Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan

491 Johnson St., Alpena, MI 49707

989-356-2202 Reception