Good morning - For those of you who have historic building plaque programs
at your institution, I have a very specific question for you.

If the land records show that the property was purchased by a woman (who was
married at the time of purchase), but her husband's name is not on the deed,
for whom do you name the property?  If you have no other information about
where she got the money for the purchase, do you assume it came from her
husband?  (Yes, I know the old joke about assuming things!)  Do you name it
Mrs. Jane Smith House or Bob & Jane Smith House?

I've been encountering a number of houses recently where there is only a
woman's name on the deed.  We're having a discussion about naming it for who
legally buys the land or who is living in the house when first built.

Many thanks for your input!

Sincerely,

VivianLea Stevens

Executive Director