I have seen this several times over the past eight years, working banquets at the Marriott in Buffalo, New York. Trays and trays of Italian cookies...which seems to be an Italian tradition, at least here in Western New York. The number of the wedding guests usually determines whether the cookies are homemade, brought in from a bakery or a combination of both. Either way, they are delicious. Lots of anise cookies. I would look into Italian-American folk customs and traditions for further info. Good Luck!