Hello!

For an upcoming museum conference I am researching the effects of the budget cuts for museums, particularly in New York State.  My purpose is to find ways to deal with and work around the lack of funds so that cultural institutions can stay afloat. I am asking that you please fill out my questionnaire so that my results can be as diverse and informative as possible.

Thank you,
Bethany Day
Buffalo State College

Questionnaire for Surviving the Budget Cuts:
Name of Institution (optional): _____________________

1.      How has your museum/institution adjusted to the cuts put in place by the government?

2.      What areas/departments do the budget cuts affect the most?

3.      How has hiring been affected?

4.      Has the focus of your museum changed (perhaps more towards marketing or financing)?

5.      Has availability of grants been affected?  Is there more competition involved in the application process?

6.      Has your museum seen a drop in donations or contributions?

7.      What steps are being taken to lower your institutions operating costs?

8.      How has museum attendance been affected?  Are there more or less people visiting your museum?  Are membership subscriptions being affected?

9.      Has collection development been affected by the slash in funding? Have deaccessions of objects been necessary to gain money for operating costs?  Have galleries been closed or hours of operation been cut to lower the operating budget?

10.   How has the lack of funding affected educational programming?

Please feel free to leave any extra opinions or information about the budget cuts in museums that you believe will help!  Thank you!