The cover letter matters much more to me than the resume – that’s where the candidate can make a case for how he/she can help my institution, which will show that he/she has done some research on who we are. The resume, to me, gives more detail and backs that up. So I want to see what’s relevant to the skills needed to do this particular job – education, internships, jobs. I don’t care about gaps in a resume, creativity is OK if the creativity enhances the presentation rather than distracts. Hobbies and interests can be useful – a program director, for instance, might have hobbies that are relevant or skills that aren’t part of past job skills but might be good in the future. It wouldn’t hurt for me to know that someone is a re-enactor, or a knitter, or a pen collector, or knows HTML.

Carol Ely

Historic Locust Grove

Louisville

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gayle
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 12:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: HIRING HELP: What do you want to see/not see on a resume?

In order to help those who are looking to get a job, I thought I might query those of you on list who hire a series of questions.  I will ask each in a separate note, and I will consolidate your responses and post them to the MuseJobs folks to help them out.  Here is the first question:

What is the first thing you want to see on a resume? (i.e., education, job history, summary, what they can bring to your organization, etc.)

Does the resume have to follow a standard, cookie-cutter format, or is there room for creativity in design so as to appeal to your eye?

What things don't you need to see? (i.e., hobbies and interests).

If you received the perfect resume, what would it look like?

What's more important to you, the candidate's education, or the candidate's work history?

Thank you to any who choose to respond.