From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Pickering, Felicia
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] ANONYMOUS REQUEST: How to Deal with a Problematic
Coworker

I think you probably should go ahead with this meeting. Not every person can
attend every meeting, of course. There may well be other meetings that you
will also have to proceed on without her. Just be very sure to keep copies
of your multiple attempts to schedule and reschedule any meetings to include
this person, so it is clear that you have bent over backwards to include her
(I hope you are doing this via email or in print somehow, so you can easily
document this, or at least make a note in your calendar). Keep records of
her confirming that she will attend a meeting, and then cancelling at the
last minute. Also, make sure to take some kind of notes or minutes for any
meetings to do with this project. Do this for all meetings, whether she
attends or not. If she misses a meeting you will be able pass on the minutes
to her, and you will also have a good record on what is accomplished in any
meetings, which is probably useful to have anyway. When you pass on the
minutes to her, be sure to offer to get together with her individually if
she needs clarification on anything in the minutes or that was discussed in
the meeting she missed.

You can try talking to your interim supervisor, especially if this interim
person will be in charge for some months (keep a record of it if you do.)
Once your regular supervisor returns, then try what Dane Pollei suggests -
meet with the regular supervisor and say what you have done so far on the
project, and note the impediments that have come up that are causing
problems in completing it in a timely way. Ask for help/advice. Just be sure
to document/take notes on any meetings either with the problem person or
about the problem person.  Document, document, document the problem,
basically. The more documentation you have - on the problems with meetings,
on her erratic attendance, etc., the better chance you have of some action.

  _____