The short answer should be your board and staff, with emphasis on including the staff. The staff often has insight from day to day activities and interactions that board members do not.

Now a side rant. I hate mission statements. I want the time in my life back I have spent polishing, revising, discarding, and presenting mission statements. A mission statement is not a panacea. It will not magically grow your development results, increase your visitor satisfaction, or improve employee morale. If more time and effort were spent on achieving the mission daily, and less on creating the perfect mission statement, I think the world would be a more perfect place. End rant, going to find my meds now.

--- On Tue, 2/10/09, Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From: Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: who defines your mission statement?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 1:17 PM

If your institution has been through a mission statement change – who were the participants?  Board?  Staff?

Who are the appropriate contributors to the discussion when the mission statement undergoes a change?

Cindy Boyer

Director of Museums and Education

The Landmark Society of Western New York

133 S. Fitzhugh St.

Rochester NY  14608

(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

The Landmark Society:  Revitalizing Yesterday, Protecting Today, and Planning for Tomorrow

www.landmarksociety.org

Confessions of a Preservationist: The Landmark Society blog

Facebook / MySpace