Dates:    Feb 2 - Feb 27, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Steven P. Layne
Location:  Online at www.museumclasses.org

World events continually remind us just how important security is.
The FBI and Interpol databases record thefts from small rural museums
and world renowned art collections. The prevalence of collections
lost to theft is brought home to us with regular sensational
newspaper stories. And then there are the internal thefts, fires, and
collection vandalism that also result in loss. Security must be a
priority for every museum, regardless of size. Introduction to
Security teaches basic, practical approaches to protecting against
threats such as theft, vandalism, violent acts, natural disasters,
fire and environmental hazards. Topics include selecting security
systems, determining security needs and how to build affordable
security systems. Screening, hiring, firing, workplace violence,
policies and procedures and emergency management planning are covered as well.

Logistics:
Participants in Introduction to Security work at their own pace
through sections and interact through online chats for one hour each
week. Instructor Steve Layne is available at scheduled times during
the course for email support. Introduction to Security includes
online literature, slide lectures and student-teacher/group-teacher
dialog. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Introduction to Security runs four weeks. The class takes
approximately 10 hours per week of student time to complete. To
reserve a spot in the course, please pay at
<http://museumclasses.org/training/http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html>http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html
If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments for MS107: Introduction to Security

Quality information and resources, discussions, and it gave me food
for thought.

I liked not having to sit in a classroom, the depth some of the
material offered, and being able to work on assignments when I had
the time at work.

I liked a lot of the extra reading. As we know finding some of this
material can take awhile during a general search on the web. The
lecture material was also a great review for somebody like myself who
has been in security for some time.

I think this course is on the right track, and should be presented to
as many security pros as possible. It would be a great tool to get
museum security personnel to think outside the box while they are
inside their box. It is important to make sure our countries
treasures are well protected, so the better educated we are the
better we can work to make this a reality.

I LIKED THE VARIETY OF "VOICES" IN THE MATERIALS; I ESPECIALLY VALUE
THE LISTS OF OTHER RESOURCES.

The Instructor:
Stevan P. Layne is the principal consultant and chief executive of
Layne Consultants International, a leading provider of cultural
property protection advice. Steve is a former police chief, public
safety director and museum security director. He is the author of The
Cultural Property Protection Manual, and the Business Survival Guide.
Steve regularly presents to professional associations and has
consulted with more than 400 museums and other institutions. Steve is
the founding director of the International Foundation for Cultural
Property Protection and responsible for the professional training and
certification of more than 1,000 museum professionals.