Our museum recently started permitting film-makers to use our site. To date we’ve had two: a documentary, and a straight-to-DVD student film.

My question is, for those museums who allow filming, do you exercise any kind of “editorial” (or other) control? It made some of my co-workers and I squirm when we learned the film was a horror flick whose plot involved child sacrifice (those scenes were filmed at a different location).

Management’s take is that as long as the film doesn’t include anything illegal (children smoking, x-rated content, drugs) then we must/can not make a judgment of who can use our site or not.

Is this the case at other museums also? Does it depend on if your museum is public or private? Yes film groups do sign documents and pay to film here.

Anne