For the past two years, the Chicago History Museum has hosted a monthly program called In The K/Now.  The focus of the program is to address contemporary, hot button topics that affect life in Chicago – a different subject is discussed each month.  We usually have 3 panelists plus a moderator.  One panelist provides a historic and contemporary overview of the topic while the other 2 provide their opposing perspectives.

While a few of the program topics have stimulated overly passionate and heated conversations (from both the panelists and patrons), I must say that the discussion that emerges is generally quite exciting and informative.   We do a good job controlling the environment (a good moderator is key); we provide space where both “sides” can provide additional materials; we, as an institution, don’t take sides on the topic; and we allow for visitor feedback via surveys.  All in all, I think it’s a very successful program and the beauty of it is that program demographics widely vary based on program topic…no two audiences are ever the same.  The only real challenge we have faced is trying to be as cutting edge as possible (being able to identify what the “right” hot topic might be for the month) while still having to plan ahead in order to line-up panelists and market the program topic.

I do encourage mixing up the program topics - keeping some light and throwing in the heavy ones here and there.  And the election year has provided great material for quality programs.  But I agree that keeping it within a specific context will justify your programmatic and institutional goals.

Elizabeth K. Garibay
Public Programs Manager
(312) 799-2156 direct, (312) 799-2456 fax

Chicago History Museum
1601 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614-6038
www.chicagohistory.org