I have not done something of this nature but I do have a few suggestions to calm your trustees.

If that is the type of programming you are considering, might I suggest that you not do it during an election year.  It may be seen as a “candidate forum” even if no candidates are actually on the panel, since candidates may show up in the audience and try to lead the discussion.  You should also pitch it as a theoretical discussion, include recognized experts, make it research-based, and keep it very focused on the mission of your museum (ideally ending with a tour through the museum to highlight your collections which support the point(s) of view expressed by the speaker(s).

Best,

Julia Muney Moore

Public Art Administrator

Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN