As sad as it is to See the museum disbanded, and all of the art sold, I wanted to address the heading "Art as a Commodity." As much as people do not want to hear it, art is a commodity. That is why it has a price. Artist receive payment for the work they do, and investors buy and resell art. Art might be a bit more upscale than say pork bellies, but at its root, it is a commodity. I realize some art is never sold, but is given to a museum by an artist, but even then, we have rules on valuations and income tax donations values that confer commodity status on the item. Even if the donor wants no receipt, it still has a value to the museum, and is a commodity.

Now as to the liquidation of a collection, that I do not agree with. It is better to move it to another institution than to split it up and scatter it about. But it is very easy for me to say so here in my little world  when I do not know the particulars of decision. In theory, I would never make such a decision. In fact, I have never had to face the situation.