Timothy,

This past year I actually starting working with a paranormal team - one of the most respected ones on the West Coast (Pasadena Paranormal) - as their researcher / historian.

Since I have years and years of experience in museums and historic sites one of my goals is to formulate standards, as part of an educational program / lectures, that will form a set of guidelines for such investigations in historic sites and museums.. I recently wrote a pamphlet on guidelines for doing proper research (I am happy to send out a PDF  by request OFF the list).

My point of view on this is that a paranormal group should be under the guidelines that would apply to any group within your grounds and buildings. This means that a staff monitor should be present. That the furnishings and architectural surfaces not be touched or have things duct taped to them. That no food or drinks be allowed within areas that contain collections. And any trash or other things that they bring be brought out when they leave. The key word is RESPECT.

On your part you should do due diligence to ask for references from any group and take the time to talk to other clients and sites where they have been. Many groups post reports on their sites or they may be able to provide you one on request. This will give you an excellent idea of how professional the group may be and what their investigations involve. There are basic guidelines that most professional paranormal groups work from these days. First, they should provide you with a report and any evidence collected within a reasonable time after their investigation. They must respect client privacy and confidentiality - so no information or evidence can be released publically without your permission or without prior approval. However, they own the copyright of their own photographs, video, and audio - so you cannot use that material without their permission. You cannot control the intellectual content of their report but you can request that it be kept confidential. But a group may produce a report you would be proud of - and I always strive to turn up research that will add something that you may not already have.

I actually would have more confidence in a group that does not do TV than one that does. Actually, when we are contacted by clients who ask if we are bringing the TV cameras or "those Ghost Hunter Guys" their requests usually automatically get tossed in the circular file. Our team is out there to help people who have serious concerns and not out there for publicity or to promote someone else's business.

Many places have stories about ghosts or paranormal activity and many these days use it as a very real marketing / program for their sites and institutions. The reality in all of this is that the serious professional investigators spend hours and hours on-site and in the review of evidence and results can be sometimes nonexistent, but also sometimes profuse. It reminds me when I was an archaeologist - far more hours in moving dirt than in amazing finds. So you are not liable to catch a "skeleton" on just one visit - but there may be value in finding the source of the cold spots, or why a fragrance appears in a room, why shadows are seen, or why staff and visitors get the "creeps" in a specific room or location. A professional paranormal group will look for every rational explanation first - and they should leave the rest as "unexplained" unless there is something so striking and compelling that they have documented where the "H" word might be used.

I personally think that the interest by the public is great because it provides such a wonderful avenue and opportunity to engage their interest in history. I also think that it would be great to see an historic site working with a local paranormal group to offer a ghosthunting 101 program, and you can create your own "ghost" stories / folklore programs as well. I see nothing wrong in capitalizing on this to bring folks there - just as many sites and museums have concerts or other events for the public.

You will be successful if you are able to integrate this as part of the larger picture and mission of your site and institution.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator