"Even though a member might have an email address, for their own reasons
they may prefer to receive hard copy notifications.  With member
tracking software it is easy to craft email vs snailmail lists."

Our general mailing list (an Excel file) is distinct from our membership
list (on PastPerfect) and is 10 times larger - it has been hard enough
to manage address changes and duplicate addresses as it is. We also have
an email list, again separate. What software would allow us to manage
all this, code our list (as donor, member, teacher, volunteer, etc) AND
allow us to specify preferences for email vs. snail mail? At the moment,
email blasts and newsletters are purely supplemental - we have no way to
know if someone receiving email is also on our main mailing list. We use
PatronMail to manage the email lists.  Have any other small
organizations solved this without expensive software and an in-house IT
person?

We also have the problem of getting email addresses, despite very polite
asking very frequently, promises not to share addresses, and pleas for
economy and the environment. Now we're about to stop doing most mailings
by US mail to our general list, giving people the option of either
joining our email list, or becoming a member. We'll see how that works!
But I have some fears that it may backfire, if people who might be
interested in our programs are no longer informed about them.

Carol Ely

Executive Director

Historic Locust Grove, Louisville KY