Hi,

I'm hoping to draw from the cumulative experience of those on the list-serv in order to help refine and improve our volunteer program.  I work at a community art school in Philadelphia and we have plenty of people wanting to be involved at the organization, and my goal is to create a volunteer program that is beneficial to both the individual and the organization.  Please feel free to respond to me directly!  I look forward to hearing your responses.  See questions below:

  1. How many currently active volunteers are with your organization?  How large is your organization?
  2. Roughly what percentage of volunteer applicants to your organization become active volunteers?
  3. Is there a paid staff person devoted to coordinating volunteers?
  4. What is the procedure for processing volunteer requests from departments within your organization?
  5. Have you experimented with any creative methods to recruit volunteers, or tried to recruit volunteers as part of outreach into low-participation communities?
  6. Do you have progressive levels of volunteer jobs and responsibilities?  Is there room for advancement?
  7. Do you have any data that shows the amount of money spent on volunteers (recruitment, training, etc) versus the amount they contribute (time and fundraising)?
  8. Any final words or comments?

Thanks so much for your time!

Emily Romick