From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenny Olmsted
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 12:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: potentially thorny donor question

Hello all,

I'm hoping that in the list's infinite wisdom, someone may have advice on what may turn out to be a difficult, or at least delicate, situation with a donor.

One of our long-time donors and lifetime members contacted me recently to ask why a piece she donated in 2006 wasn't on display with its matching piece that had been donated in about 1995.  She was adamant that if we would not or could not display the 2006 piece, she wants it back.

Looking through the donation paperwork, I saw that according to the incoming condition report, the piece was already damaged when it was donated.  Presumably this is the reason it was never put on display (this donation took place before I started working at this institution).

Additionally, there was no restriction on the Deed of Gift that the object must be on display.

My take on this is that, as an unrestricted gift now in our legal possession, we can legally keep the object and display it or not as we deem appropriate.  However, given that this donor is also a lifetime member of the society, I don't want to upset or alienate her.  Although this object does not seem to be essential to our collection, so there does not seem to be a reason we would want to keep it, I would be against giving the object back as it would set a bad precedent.

Have any of you been in a similar situation?  How did you handle it?  I appreciate any feedback and advice.

Jenny Herring
Curator

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail(r) account.<http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_speed_122008>