Hi, all

I did look at the Museum-L archives and found a few postings about some upcoming webinars or workshops about music licensing that I think occurred over the summer and I'm wondering if the results or summaries of them exist anywhere or if anyone that might have attended can share?

Since about 3 or so months ago we've been hounded by ASCAP who is becoming increasingly insistent that we sign up for their museum music licensing agreement, which will cost us over $700 annually. I'm getting mailings, emails and phone messages.  I'm not aware that we are violating any music/copyright laws, nor have they complained about any particular violation.  The music we play in the store is strictly limited to CD's that we sell, which I understand is perfectly legit.  We have permission to play whatever videos we have in our galleries or, if we have the occasional live performance, we then pay the appropriate fees to the performer.

I also understand that BMI has done this to some museums...so what's to prevent another agency from insisting that we sign up with them?  We can't afford these annual fees...and I'm loathe to sign up once, because I feel at that point I've obligated us to annual fees forever...

Thoughts?  Materials to share?

Stacey Otte
Executive Director
Catalina Island Museum
History's never been this much fun!

http://www.CatalinaMuseum.org

This communication and any accompanying document(s) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Stacey Otte at [log in to unmask] or by telephone at 310-510-4650. Thank You