Speaking to groups is often unavoidable but with experience I’m sure she’ll get the hang of it (I sure didn’t like public speaking in high school, but I learned how to do it in college and it is no longer an obstacle).

So I would suggest a career in museum education.  There is quite a bit of interaction with the public, teachers, volunteers, and professional colleagues.  Her research and writing skills will come in handy, and there is less of a need for design or construction aptitude.  Even if she ends up working in a smallish museum, she may be the ONLY education staff member and thus will have plenty of interaction with visitors and volunteers while being responsible for writing and creating educational materials for the institution (often object-based).

My undergraduate degree is in archaeology and history, but I went to graduate school for museum studies with artists, teachers, geologists, and other historians and archaeologists.  So there are lots of ways she can start her educational career pointed towards museums but not limited to that field too early on.

While she’s in college she can always get her feet wet by docenting at local museums or galleries, or continuing an education-specific internship at these places.

Best of luck to her.

Clayton D. Drescher

Education Manager

Petersen Automotive Museum