Dear Marguerite,

Well, if you didn't accession it, then you don't need to deaccession it.
The easiest answer would be to decline that portion of the donation and
return it to the donor.  Even if you did accession it, I would just
follow your normal deaccession procedures and then return it to the
donor.

There also might be legal and ethical issues that should be discussed
with the state archaeologist (for example, is this a previously unknown
cemetery that needs documentation or protection?  Are there human
remains there that need to be addressed?).

Depending on the circumstances of how it was found, the donor may not
have had the right to offer it in the first place.  I wouldn't send it
off unless you're completely sure the donor has rightful ownership.

Sincerely,

Kris Zickuhr

Registrar

Wisconsin Veterans Museum