Stacey,

ASCAP, BMI, and other music publishing firms control the rights and
licensing for songs and music compositions. So it is not just the CD, Video,
or live performance that is the issue - it is the use of the song - the
performance or setting of it is not applicable to the copyright issue. Take
the CD's for example. Those are sold and are intended for private use. When
you play it in a place that is considered "public" and where people are
charged an entrace fee, then there may be an issue there. Fair use doctrine
so far is soldily established for Libraries and Universities but museums may
or may not qualify - it may take court cases to truly definte that. If the
videos that you use in your galleries have music, whether sung or composed,
then someone owns the copyrights for that music, and even if you have
permission to use the video that may not give you clearance for the music.
Many of the music venues here in Los Angeles get the letters and calls and
faxes from ASCAP and BMI too - and they have established a policy that ONLY
original music be played by performers - no cover songs allowed. And that
should also true of any performer in a museum setting as well unless the
song is in the public domain or is traditonal.

My advice is to make sure that you have fully looked into the rights for
anything that you use that has music and I really encourage you to look to
support local songwriters and composers by using their work under contract,
even for a nominal fee, so that the issue of the rights is on your side.
remeber you only want the rights to the use of the song, not to own it in
its entirety.

I have learned about all this because I have spent the past several years
during the evening hours produing and directing live music webcasts and then
putting on a monthly music showcase for Songsalive - the largest non-profit
that supports songwriters and composers around the world. I am also a music
director for a weekly internet interview radio show and come up with four
songs by four diffrerent indepednant artists every week - and all are
original and are solely controlled by the artists.

The creative people who earn their living writing and composing music
deserve to earn from their work and to control its use, as should any
artist, writer, of sculptor. The firms that buy the rights for lisencing and
distribution are often aggressive becuase the carry such a large financial
interest in making sure that no one uses anything for free. So, take
control, work directly with the artists, and then you can ignore those
letters and calls.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey