Marguerite,

I would check with any local tombstone or graveyard societies or a local
historical society to see if they are interested in caring for the tombstone
- if possible it should be preserved somewhere.

Here is a link I found that may be useful for research.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gonetotexas/cemetery.html

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey