The Hingham Historical Society, Hingham, Massachusetts, seeks a museum
studies student or recent graduate to fill the Sally Hess Memorial
Internship for Spring or Summer of 2009. Applicants for the Spring
internship will have the opportunity to assist with the production and
public outreach for our annual exhibit at the Old Ordinary House museum.
This year's exhibit will feature our historic sampler collection.

The Sally Hess Memorial Internship is a one semester 200-hour curatorial
internship granted with a stipend of $1,500 to students or recent graduates
interested in the field of museum studies or public history. In addition to
various projects as needed, interns will be given a major project focusing
on one or more of the following areas of museum practice.

.        collections care and preservation of archival and artifact
collections

.        computerization and digital asset management

.        cataloging and collections research and registration procedures

.        curatorial philosophy and mission

.        exhibition and interpretation of material culture

Since its establishment in 1914, the Hingham Historical Society's goal has
been to collect, preserve, and interpret for all audiences the history of
Hingham, Massachusetts. As a part of this mission the Society is dedicated
to achieving high standards of collections care and preservation, in
addition to interpretation and collections development.

The Society is looking for mature students or recent graduates in Museum
Studies, Public History, History, or Art History who are energetic,
organized, dedicated and sensitive to both the needs of our audiences and
the collections we are committed to preserve. The Sally Hess Memorial
Internship will provide interns with practical museum experience that is
essential to building a career in the museum field, but which is not
generally obtained in the classroom setting of a museum studies or public
history program.

Send a resume, cover letter, and the names of 3 references to the Hingham
Historical Society, P.O. Box 434, Hingham, MA 02043 by January 15, 2009.

Suzanne Buchanan, Director

Hingham Historical Society

P.O. Box 434

Hingham, MA 02043