Cristin,

I have forwarded your question onto our conservators here at the Canadian Museum of Civilization.   The museum recently restoration a rare birch bark canoe belonging to the National University of Ireland in Galway. Since May 2007, conservators at the Museum painstaking undertook the conservation of a six-metre Maliseet watercraft, possibly the oldest canoe of its kind in the world.

The canoe has since returned to Ireland.

I think we can safely say we are a centre of expertise in this area.

Google Canadian Museum of Civilization + birch bark canoe + Ireland” for further details.

Patti

Patricia Davis-Perkins

Documentaliste de multimédia

Bibliothèque, archives et services de documentation (BASD)

Musée canadien des civilisations

Multimedia Documentalist

Library, Archives and Documentation Services (LADS)

Canadian Museum of Civilization

100, rue Laurier Street, Gatineau, QC K1A 0M8

Tél.: 819 776 8456 Fax.: 819 776 8300