Smithsonian had something sorta kinda like this when it had its traveling exhibition for its 150th.

From: las <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 10:30:58 AM
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Exhibits on Collectors and Collecting

Oh no, no, no, no, no!  The BEST exhibit I have EVER seen on collecting was an exhibit on the topic of  "Why People Collect".  A fascinating exhibit with several rooms of people's "pet" collections including wedding toppers, unused, labeled tooth brushes, 1970s smiley-face objects, string lights, etc.  The theme was what motivates people to collect and how EVERYONE collects something (if you have 3 or more of an object...you collect it!) .This made it a VERY accessible exhibit that EVERYONE could relate to and have fun with - endless possibilities.  I had lunch with the curator many years later because I was intersted in the topic for my anythropology thesis and can forward you her name, etc.  - it slips my mind right now.

Best,

Laurie