Wesley,

I wish to clarify a few points below, as one who has processed over 900 interns for our museum and has personally trained and supervised over 200  interns.

·         A good internship should be designed to benefit BOTH the intern and the museum, not just the intern.

·         A student does not have to apply for credit in order for the experience to be deemed an internship, unless the credit stipulation is designated by museum policy.

·         A paid or unpaid internship experience is something that is decided upon by the museum. Even though one could be a paid intern does not classify it as a part-time, temporary or seasonal job since the structure of the experience, expectations and outcome for both the intern and the supervisor are different than a job. In addition, may internships that are paid offer a stipend not an hourly wage.

You have described your internship experience and how you personally define an internship based on your own experiences but it is only one kind of an internship and that is not the norm for the variety of museums out there.

Dawn Scher Thomae

Milwaukee Public Museum