Hi everyone,

I wanted to share with you that the Center for History and New Media released an upgraded version of Omeka (http://omeka.org) , our free and open-source web publishing platform for collections-based research of all kinds, one that bridges the scholarly, library, and museum worlds through a set of commonly recognized standards.

In this version, .10b, we rebuilt the database structure to be unqualified Dublin Core with extensive element metadata sets, thus making it easier to develop translators for importing collections management data into Omeka; reworked our theme and plugin API to make add-on development easier; redesigned the admin interface and the project site; and improved the exhibit builder function.

The number of sites built with Omeka since its launch in February continues to grow (http://omeka.org/showcase).

We are also very interested in getting feedback from users, and have set up forums and a developers Google group to collect those responses (http://omeka.org/get-involved) If you’re interested in reading a press release, or finding us on Twitter, Flickr, et al, go here: http://omeka.org/get-involved/

CHNM has partnered with the Minnesota Historical Society and is funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and Samuel H. Kress Foundation.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about Omeka or Omeka sites.

Thanks,

Sheila Brennan

Sheila A. Brennan

Senior Digital History Associate