Here's what Wiki says about H1Bs.  Because of the glut of workers here in the US looking for a museum job, you're going to be hard-pressed to meet the requirement that says you cannot displace American workers (I'm paraphrasing).  Best of luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1B_visa

________________________________
From: Serena Bolliger <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:50:11 PM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Hiring international applicants

As an British citizen in an American Museum Studies program, soon to be clutching my Masters diploma for dear life, I was wondering whether anyone could give me a rough idea of their policies on hiring international applicants, or if anyone has had experience finding an institution which has supported their H1B visa.

Thank you so much,
Sincerely,

Serena Bolliger