The Center for Archaeological Research is proud to announce the publication of A Guide to Spanish Colonial Ceramics in Texas by Anne A. Fox and Kristi M. Ulrich.

http://car.utsa.edu/Publications/SpanishColonialCeramicsorderform.pdf

Please feel free to post to other lists.

Excerpted from the Editor’s Preface

While we have tried to include the entire state in our discussion, the book is written from a South Texas perspective as these are the primary collections to which we have access and the sites with which we are most familiar.  The manuscript is divided into four chapters. The first three chapters offer abbreviated background information. Chapter 1 is a brief history of the Spanish occupation of Texas, included to provide a background against which the details of ceramic types and dating will fit.  Chapter 2 is a very brief summary of the history of Spanish ceramic manufacture in Mexico and a discussion of the importation of these ceramics into Texas. Chapter 3 provides a brief summary of the methods of manufacturing seen in Spanish ceramics in Texas, including the surface treatments and vessel forms.  A glossary of terms used in ceramic analysis is included in Appendix A. Chapter 4 is the heart of the publication.  It consists of type descriptions of Spanish colonial ceramics found in Texas. In most cases, each type includes a plate with several examples in color facing the text of the type descriptions. The layout is designed to facilitate identification. Each illustration will include the location at which the specific item was found, but in order to keep in-text citations to a minimum in Chapter 4, reference to the specific project during which each was recovered is not made.  Instead, Appendix B consists of an extensive bibliography of archaeological site reports and artifact analyses, organized by location, for Spanish Colonial sites in Texas.

Steve A. Tomka

The first printing of CAR Special Report No. 33 was sold out. We are now offering pre-orders for a second printing of this volume, but a minimum of 50 orders will be required for this edition to go to press.  Pre-orders will close on February 15, 2009 and will be shipped in early March. Should a second printing not occur, money will be refunded.

For all orders, please include a check made payable to the Center for Archaeological Research. The cost of Special Report #33 is $35.00. Please include Texas sales tax ($2.84) for each volume on all in-state orders, and $4.00 postage and handling for each publication. If more than three volumes are requested, reduce postage and handling charges by 50%. If publications are being ordered for a tax-exempt organization, please include tax-exempt certification with the order form.

Center for Archaeological Research, University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle, San Antonio, Texas 78249-0658

Marybeth S.F. Tomka, M.A.
Laboratory Director and Curator
Center for Archaeological Research
The University of Texas at San Antonio

State Certified Curatorial Repository

One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, Texas 78249
(210) 458-7822
(210) 458-4397 Fax

http://car.utsa.edu/

. . . herding cats in a forest of catnip . . .