From: Zickuhr, Kristine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 4:31 pm
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Copyright

Giles wrote: “What copying museums choose to allow the public to do is another question. It could be argued that restricting the public's ability to copy/photograph objects beyond what is required by law is unethical. The first tenet of the curator's hippocratic oath, as it were, should be to facilitate the uses the public wants to make of the collections in her custody (as far as _genuine_ conservation considerations allow), ensuring she is not reserving privileged use of, or access to, the collections for herself or her institution. In this view it is also misguided to prohibit the public from taking photographs of objects in the collection because it creates images 'outside the museum's control' or allows parties other than the museum to 'profit' from the collections. This is particularly the case in regard to artistic works on public display which are out of copyright and which are (supposed to be) in the public domain. To many it would seem wrong that museums and other owners of artistic works are able, for example, to subvert the statutory limitations placed on the duration of copyright by controlling and restricting access to, and copying of, works in which the copyright has expired and which are supposed to be in the ownership of everyone/no-one.

In my view the measure of success and quality of museums in the future wi ll be the extent to which their policies allow the collections in their custody to be opened up for use in all the ways the public wants, including photography of the collections, and which succeed in eradicating the proprietorial claims and instincts of curators that have plagued museums in the past.

Giles,

You make valid points.  The vast majority of items in the museum where I work (aside from the photographs) have no inherent copyright issues.  It’s a collection of historical military objects.  So the issue for us is the copyright of the photos taken of the objects.

In one case many years ago a professional photographer was hired to take photos of objects in the collection.  The copyright wasn’t secured and the museu m itself could not release or publish those photos.  Talk about issues with access!  In another case a staff member of a nearby museum was allowed to take photographs of art work in the collection.  That museum is now selling prints and apparently we have no recourse.  We have a copyright expert on legal staff and we still run into issues.  So hopefully you can understand why we’re wary.  Perhaps not allowing any outside photographers is going too far and I admit it’s something that needs more thought and discussion in our institution.  Digital photography and the internet have changed a lot of things and we’re still negotiating those issues.

I agree with allowing public access to the degree it’s compatible with preservation.  We provide good quality images of any of the stable items in our collection, allow any member of the public to view or study any of our stable objects, and we’re soon to release our online collections database.  Plus we have free admission and programs. So I completely agree that public collections should serve the public.
 < /FONT>
Say, are you the Giles Hudson at the Museum of the History of Science?  I couldn’t help but notice that your online collections database images are watermarked against public downloads.  So maybe your institution has a bit of proprietary instinct as well.  J

Kristine Zickuhr
Registrar
Wisconsin Veterans Museum
If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: